Friday, September 11, 2009

INTRODUCING:NADINE YOUNG-PEPPLE

  If you think your mother-in-law is crazy or evil, wait till you meet mine. I don't think i have the typical mother in law who is bound to give you a headache everyday, complaining about the things you do and don't do, I have the kind of mother in law that absolutely hates my guts, she can't even stand the ground that i walk on.She hates me with a serious passion and I don't know how I have been able to stay married to her son for these many years without losing my sanity. Mrs Pepple Snr is hust one of those women who needs a life. Her husband passed away when Dimabo my husband was in college, apart from his mother who dotes on him worse than a little baby, Dimabo also has a younger sister called Ibiso also known as Janice. Ibiso and I have had our ups and downs,especially since she is tied to her mother's apron strings; she tends to behave like her mother once in a while. Ibiso got married a year after her brother and I got married. She married a Colonel and got a divorce from him about five years later after two kids, Alexis and Andrew. She became an embittered woman and moved to a different state.
Mrs Pepple Snr does not like me especially because I am not from their tribe. My father is British and my mother is Black which makes me a half breed. Mrs Pepple wanted her son to marry her best friend's daughter Henrietta who back then was about to go to Medical school. I had just graduated with a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular biology and i went straight to Pharmacy school. Dimabo and I decided to have a small wedding. We decided to have a memorable wedding with about two hundred and fifty guests and have a small wedding cruise but his mother had other plans.
"No way, a wedding cruise, is this Titanic about to happen again?" she asked out loud as Dimabo told her of our proposed wedding plans. She started to speak to him in their language which i had absolutely no idea of. Dimabo gave his mom the ugliest look I have ever seen.
"Why don't you every agree with anything we plan Mama, i am getting tired of this madness, everything always has to go your way or no way." he shouted, he was frustrated with his mother's behavior.
" What madness? You must be mad. You are a very stupid boy.Well over my dead body would I let you marry this Mami water" she responded. Mami Water, is that what she called me, Dimabo once told me that it means Mermaid, did she just call me that.i am laughing out loud, in my mind.
" I am not interested in marrying Henrietta mom if that is what you are trying to persuade me to do. Mama i can't understand you, why do you always have to impose your own ideas on me, i mean Nadine is a lovely lady, why are you making things so difficult?"
"Nadine is white trailer trash as far as i am concerned" she said flatly looking at me straight in the eyes.If the human mind was transparent she would see me holding a dagger about to pierce her sharp mouth, that woman spits venom when she talks, i can't remember the last time i had a civil conversation with her becuase she ends up yelling. If i didn't love Dimabo so much, i would have walked out of the house this instant.
"Mama!!!!!!!!!!!!" Dimabo shouted.
"My son, i want what is best for you, i want you to have a lovely wedding with this your lady here so i will give you my own take, i want you to have the wedding on a golf course, i know so many people that will attend the wedding........................" Dimabo was pissed off.
"You don't seem to understand what we are talking about here, that's too many people and we are spending so much money on just a ceremony and after party on a golf course, i know you want to invite those friends of yours and they will bring more people, i want to keep it strictly two hundred and fifty people." Dimabo explained.
"It's you wedding, are you not proud to have found someone to marry" his mother asked sneeringly at him. he stole a quick glance at me. I said nothing. Dimabo had reassured me of his love and support.We finally had our way having a wedding cruise. We had four hundred guests instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment