Saturday, September 12, 2009

INTRODUCING: DONEISHA SIMS ANDERSON

 I was sitting in my parents 7 bedroom house. I have lived here all my life running though each and every room, swimming in the Olympic size swimming pool in the backyard and having all my teenage pool parties out there. Laying out on the lawn and reading thousands of books that now fill up those carton boxes in the garage while eating an apple and sipping from my glass of champagne are my memories of this house. This used to be my paradise until i went to college in Massachussetts. I got into Harvard University.I was the only one in my graduating class to get accepted into Harvard. Princeton rejected me and so did Stanford, who cares, i had gotten into the best of the best even though my dad would have preferred i went to Princeton, his Alma Mater. I also got admitted into Columbia University and UCLA but my parents sent me straight to Harvard. I cried but it yielded nothing. I was going to miss the luxury of my home and everything I ever had I was also going to miss my two best friends, but thanks to cell phones. I have always been closed minded about meeting new people and that is the kind of mentality that I have always had. My parents are social elites. They scrutinized my friends. I met my husband in Law school. Richard Anderson, a tall handsome man. He had just graduated with his MBA in Economics. He worked in New York. We had a long distance relationship for a year and then he moved to Virgina where he found another job with a different company. His old job was rather hectic and he was also thinking of settling down. We flew to my home in California for Thanksgiving. My parents freaked out. He was not their kind of son inlaw. He was not from the perfect home, he didn't go to the perfect schools. Richard's parents were divorced, their marriage ended when he was fifteen leaving him and his sister Patrice to deal with their constant feud afterwards. Richard attended Ohio State University which was not my parents ideal school as well.
" I can't believe that after all the money and education your father and I have given you, you went below your class to pick up some reject from somewhere" my mom said scolding me in her bedroom which was on the west wing of the house.
"Mom, i am in love with this guy, at least out of everthing he has been through, he has made something out of his life" i told her almost in tears.
"You are beginning to sound like a mediocre" my mom replied. Mediocrity and mundanity are my mom's wort enemies.
"Mom why are you doing this to me, he is the only one who is genuinely interested in me" i tld my mom.
"Really, how are you so sure about that?" she asked me with a smirk on her face which i don't like at all.
"Mom, seriously, i don't wish to have this conversation anymore." I told her.
"No, Neisha we are going to have this conversation, you are the only child in this family and your future matters to us, we are going to leave our estate to you and you cannot just bring some kid with unidentifiable parents to my house and talk about having a future with him and by the way what happened to Phillip?" my mom asked.
"I am not interesed in Phillip" i replied flatly.
Throughout our stay in the house, my mother had a strange and rather cold and distant behavior not only towards me but especially to my boyfriend.
"Your mom does not like me" he told me as we rode to the mall in my father's car.
"She is like that with people she does not know" I told him.
"I have stayed in their house for more than three days but she doesn't seem to want to brak the ice" he said.
"don't worry, she'll come out of her little shell" i told him, he looked at me and i smiled trying to cheer him up. He smiled back but it was not genuine, he had this rather uneasy look. My mom is a tough nut to crack, he had breakfast on the second day with my dad and I have no idea what they talked about, I don't even know if he told my mother anything.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmnn...where's dis going Lola..u got me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep reading my dear, you are really going to get hooked

    ReplyDelete